7/11/11

Summer Sketching

That Blue Pencil Again
I'm having a great time sketching with a blue pencil, as I mentioned in my previous post.  The watercolor sketch on the left was first drawn with a blue Prismacolor pencil, the little contour drawing on the right was done with a Gellyroll pen, and the lettering across the top was done with watercolor in a pen nib - B5.

I am teaching an outdoor watercolor journal class starting this afternoon, and right now it is getting darker by the minute.  WHY WHY WHY does this keep happening to me!? A watercolor journal class is supposed to be outdoors!!!!  I don't even have a room to go into.  I'm not completely stupid  -  I do know rain happens ( do I ever know it), so we  have a porch we can go to for shelter.  I just don't want to.

Here it is Monday already.  I have a very busy week ahead - two watercolor classes, four afternoons of watercolor journal, and a morning with a private group.  I am not complaining  -  I love this!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Catherine,

I love your blog and art! I'm in Florida, so chances of me ever getting to Michigan or slim! I've been reading your blog for weeks as I get time and sure wish I could take your journal making class. Maybe add another to do to your list and create an online one for us far away folks.

What is a pen nib? That's a new one to me. Is there a brand you use?

Marcy Brennan
Marcybrennanart.blogspot.com

PS - love the humor in your writing too!

Catherine said...

Hi Marcy - I just took a trip to your blog. I love your bright, fresh paintings!

Every now and then someone asks if I would ever do an online class, but I'm just not sure I want to take that on.

A pen nib is used for calligraphy or drawing - it is the pen point that fits in a holder. Here is a link to some http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-standard-point-dip-pen-nibs/

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info on pen nibs. I guess I need to purchase a pen first - haha!

And thank you for your kind comments about my paintings. I'm trying to sell via the blog and dailypaintworks, but I think my prices are too low. I just starting out selling so I don't have the confidence to charge big prices yet. ;-)

You are on my blog list on my blog - don't know if you saw that. Again, I sure love your blog and reading about things up north - keep up the good work!