6/7/11

Demo and Lunch

A Demo for the First Friday Kick-Off

The page on the left started out as a demonstration of negative shapes.  Someone in the class asked how I would handle this hanging basket.  I was going to show them how I would handle the negative shapes, but when I put down the positive shape of the basket, I really felt that was all I needed to "say" in the little sketch.  So the lesson turned into "try to know when you have said what you want to say, and then leave it alone".

Last night Bambi ate my orange petunias!!! Darn!  In yesterday's comments Ginny suggested a deer repellant in bags, and one of my husband's library patrons suggested a repellent that comes in (or on) stakes that you put at the corners of your garden.  I think I'll go to the garden center today and buy every repellent I can find.  We live in the city.  This is people territory, Bambi!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Hello Catherine,
I am relatively new to art journaling but when I got your book, I knew what direction I wanted to go with it! Finding your blog was awesome!I even debated planning a vacation to your neck of the woods just to take a class! You are inspirational!!! By the way, I live in a town in northern WI and we gave up the deer fight and fenced our garden---flowers and all!

Catherine said...

Hi Jillian - Thank you so much for your very kind comment! Journaling is addictive - what fun!

Our yard is quite closed in, so it wouldn't take too much to fence it completely. I am trying some deer repellent stakes - we'll see.

MarilynLara said...

I use a repellent called "Liquid Fence" to deter deer from eating my plants. I have a split-rail fence around my backyard and merely spray the top rail. One spraying lasts all summer, even through the rains. It's the best repellent I've found.

I continue to be inspired by your work.

Catherine said...

MarilynLare - thanks! I am going to look for that.