6/22/10

This is a Test

Testing the Waxed Thread

I had mentioned in a previous post that the waxed thread in the handbound journals had caused an area on the paper to resist the watercolor when I painted over it. Well, never mind. When I deliberately burnished the thread on the paper to leave a thin strip of wax, it didn't resist the watercolor. So - no great discovery here. Not that it was going to be that beneficial to anyone, but I thought it might make a nice line in leaves.

The first of my summer eight-week classes started today and it was cold. Those students don't care - they just want to paint - they don't care if it's inside or out. My Journal class was drizzled on a bit, but they didn't care either. Can you imagine spending the summer with groups of people that want to paint, talk about paper, talk art, discuss paint brands, paint some more . . . . I love it!

7 comments:

annie said...

Strange about the wax, Catherine. Maybe you can discover why it is showing such temperament--we know that wax is supposed to resist. I hope you post anything you find out because working with waxed strings is tickling my imagination.
annie

Anonymous said...

It does sound like sooooo much fun! I wish I lived near you so I could attend your classes. I love your sketches!

Sue

Catherine said...

Annie - I'm wondering now if I had stitched the book with different thread. Maybe used a friends? I will have to go through my bookbinding friends' stashes of thread and check it out.

Sue - It is fun! Wish you could join us.

Anonymous said...

I love your sketches, too!! I have learned so much from you. Your site is one I check on every day and your book is one I look through when the pain is so bad...it relaxes me and helps me think of good things...keep on! BJR

Catherine said...

Thanks BJR. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Helen Percy Lystra said...

I'd love to join one of your sketching classes. Maybe when I'm there next summer the timing will be right.

Catherine said...

Helen - we do have a lot of fun. We always have a lot of really nice people. I hope that it works out that you can join us next year!