4/23/13

Watches

A Glass Vase of Pocket Watches
I had these pocket watches in a box in a drawer  -  never to be seen.  I put them in a square glass container on a shelf, and every time I walk past them, I think I should take a minute and sketch them in my journal.

I had a nice long conversation with friend Cathy this morning, and one of the things we covered was how we were not painting and sketching.  Painting in our sketchbooks seems especially "therapeutic" to each of us. Aha  -  that's what's the matter with us!

Things have been a little "off" around here, and a bit of  therapeutic sketching couldn't hurt.  Almost two weeks ago, our son and youngest granddaughter were in an accident.  He was not hospitalized, but Isabelle was transported to a hospital downstate, three hours away, for a fractured vertebra.  She is home now, in a tortoise shell brace, and probably will miss the rest of the school year.  Scary!

So while I'm telling Cathy all of the things that are "off" in my life   -   like the weird wiring problem in my car,  some plumbing that just came loose, the critter noises we are hearing near the bathtub ( ! ), I find cherry tomatoes in my purse!

Okay  -  so I sketched, and now I'm feeling better.  I just may sit down and do some more. 

9 comments:

Marj said...

Love the watches--what a great idea to put them on display! So sorry about your Granddaughter...She is probably hospitalized somewhere near us--huh?
You could paint the Cherry tomatoes in your purse, you know...give us all a smile :-)
Luv Ya, Marj.

Catherine said...

Thanks Marj. Isabelle is home now. She was at Devos in Grand Rapids. The cherry tomatoes went into the garbage - maybe I'll dig them out and do a quick sketch:) I do like the "give us all a smile" idea - it is dark and dreary here.

Margie said...

Oh dear Catherine, so glad your granddaughter is home and mending, sigh. Such a scary thing to happen.

Always good to hear that sketching is therapeutic even for an accomplished artist like you. Love the pocket watches in the jar. I have been futzing around with my little watercolor journal, and hope to share my latest on my blog sometime soon. I enjoy my time spent with it immensely. I try not to be too critical and leave well enough alone. I learn with each and every one I do. Someday!!!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Prayers to your love ones they heal well
Thank you for sharing
I think my sketchbook could use some comfort time as well.

annie said...

So sorry about the accidents, Catherine, but relieved to know that your granddaughter is home and doing better. It sounds like a long summer for her.

I am smiling at those cherry tomatoes in your purse--the sort of thing I'd do.

I like your watch display in that glass box.



Diana said...

Catherine, I'm so sorry about the accident. I too am praying for your son and granddaughter and you and your family. Your sketch is wonderful and I too am smiling about the cherry tomatoes in your purse. Logical to me! :) love and a hug to you, Diana

Catherine said...

Margie - we are all anxious to see what you have been "futzing" with. The less critical we are, the more therapeutic it is - I keep telling myself.

Maywyn - thanks for the prayers. Things are looking good.

Thanks, Annie! People that carry food, paints and sketchbooks around at all times have to expect a few cherry tomatoes to slip through the cracks.

Diana - thanks for the prayers and hug. And thanks for understanding about the cherry tomatoes :)

HollyM said...

Glad your grand daughter is going to be OK!
I too find sketching and painting in a sketchbook therapeutic. I gave up painting frame able art because it stressed me out too much.

Catherine said...

HollyM - I understand completely about frame-able art - toooo stressful! And my husband used to be a professional framer. I guess we just don't want to do that anymore.